Thursday, June 30, 2011

[Dear Kuya A] Inquiry on Deaf Organizations & their RH issues

Dear Kuya A,

Greetings!

I am currently a Masters Candidate in Psychology, concentration in Counseling, in Ateneo de Manila University. I am looking for a practicum site and I am very much interested in working with the Deaf. Together with my practicum, I am also working on my thesis.

My thesis concentrates on the dating and sexual experiences of the deaf, focusing on individuals in high school and college. I came across your blog and since you have been advocating the Deaf community's rights and access to health and educational services, I thought of contacting you.

By any chance, is it possible to get an idea of what the issues are involving the Deaf community and the RH bill? Would it also be possible to share your sources as well? In return, I will be more than happy to share my findings when I finish my study with you.

Also, would you know of any organization or individual whom I can apply for practicum for counseling? I would very much like to be able to work as a counselor/psychologist for the Deaf community when I graduate my masters degree. Thus, I would like to take the opportunity during my practicum to start working with the Deaf, which will also allow me to practice my sign language skills and become more fluent.

I look forward to hearing from you. If you would prefer to meet in person, please let me know.

Thank you very much.

Celine Sugay

*********

Dear Celine,

Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, I have been working with the Deaf community for quite some time now. I started my advocacy way back in Cebu when a friend introduced me to the Rotaract Club of the Deaf (during that time I was a Rotaractor). 

Here are some contact details of the organizations working with or for the Deaf:

Dr. Liza Martinez, Executive Director
Philippine Deaf Resource Center (PDRC)
27 K-7 Street, West Kamias, Quezon City 1102
Tel/ fax (632) 921-8521
Mobile (0927) 528-8662
Email: pdrc@phildeafres.org

Ms. Marites Raquel Corpuz, National President
Philippine Federation of the Deaf (PFD)
27 РC Masikap St., Bgy. Pi̱ahan
Telephone fax: 435-11-98
Mobile: 09274038348

Ms. Rowena Rivera, National President
Filipino Deaf Women’s Health and Crisis Center, Inc. (FDWHCC)
835 Edsa Cor. Timog. Brgy. Sacred Heart, Quezon City 1103
Tel No.   (02)928-4182      Mobile 905.4196268 / 921.3504051(text only)
Website: http://fdwhcc.webs.com/V. Luna,1100 Quezon City

All of the following deaf organizations have stood in favor of the Reproductive Health Bill and found this to be very important in the lives of the deaf especially deaf women. I will post their official stand later.

All the best, 

Kuya A

No comments:

Post a Comment